Friday, October 21, 2005

The New Union Station is Cool

The longtime mainstay of gay restauranteering in Cincinnati is now over. Carol's on Main got bought out by Union Station (out of Columbus, I believe). I went there for happy hour - which serves $1 bottles of beer from 4-8 - and really, really enjoyed it. As I mentioned to a couple of friends, it is such a refreshing change from the numerous "changes" Carol's went through. Finally, there is a real menu, not just adding or subtracting a couple of items like Carol's would do. Also, they changed the seating arrangement to all high-top tables and nixed the tired old boothes that were in there. In typical Union Station fashion, they put video screens up everywhere - very nice to not have to strain your neck to watch a video or whatever it is they might be playing. Also, they've added NTN trivia. Chris and I are both big fans of the trivia. In fact, I won a $5 drink certificate for coming in first place in trivia tonight. Sweet! They do that all throughout happy hour. All in all, I think the owners did a fantastic job with the little bit of space they had to work with. The upstairs wasn't opened tonight, but I'm dying to see how they'll treat the space. Hmm, maybe an erotic dance bar with naked go-go boys? Not likely with Simon Leis still employed.

No comments: