Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Travelers Checks or Debit Card

Chris has mentioned that he might get travelers checks to take to Provincetown. I don't understand why, because a debit card is just about as secure as travelers checks. I'm not ripping on you bee-bee, but I don't plan on getting travelers checks. I would have to make a special trip to get them, and who knows if some of the shops up there will take them. When I go out, I bring only my ID and cash. That way, I'm not in fear of losing my wallet or being pick-pocketed. I also keep them in my front pocket. Regardless, I personally don't see the need for travelers checks for this trip. There is an ATM right on Commercial Street that I can hit whenever I need to. What do y'all think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out AmEx's new traveler's check CARDS, which are debit-like cards. they're trying to replace checks with these, so the can keep charging fees! because, as you've figured out, modern debit or credit cards render travelers checks totally unnecessary.

Jason said...

Visa does the same thing now, usually through your bank - at least my bank US Bank! I like the debit idea, because you are only responsible for $50 if it get's fraudulated! ;) Plus AMEX isn't accepted everywhere and those checks...well people get pissy when you try to cash them. (This is all in my limited experience)